The Wikipedia road to Rio goes through Sochi which goes through Copper Mountain
The London 2012 Paralympics are over. It is now time to think about going to the 2014 Winter Olympics & Paralympics while representing Wikimedia, or at least with press access for ourselves so we can represent Wikinews and by extension, Commons and Wikipedia. This is part of an e-mail I sent to one of the photographers I am hoping will go to Copper Mountain, which will enable them to get to Sochi.
Going to Colorado, our purpose is essentially this: Gain reporting and photography experience covering winter sport for the people we want to lobby the Australian Paralympic Committee and Australian Olympic Committee to gain accreditation to cover the Olympics and Paralympics in Sochi. According to my contact in the APC, the difference in structure for wintersport is such that both need prior experience where they can demonstrate an ability to cover this. Photography has contrast issues and speed issues. There are other challenges such as course length, altitude, etc.
Before going to Colorado and while in Colorado, we would have the following goals:
- Improve articles about winter sport classification. (This has been started on. Two have been nominated for GA.)
- Create/improve articles about Australian winter disability sport competitors that meet English Wikipedia guidelines such as WP:NSPORTS and WP:GNG.
- Consider taking any newly created/improved articles to DYK.
- Interview each member of the Australian team with the audio interview being uploaded to Commons for use on the skier/snowboarders Wikipedia page, and as a Wikinews article.
- Report on results of the event for Wikinews.
- Take headshots of skiers and snowboarder from Australia and other countries for use on articles.
- Take pictures of skiers and snowboarders in action for their articles, for Wikipedia articles on the sport and classification and for Wikinews articles.
While USAians could assist in doing this, media accreditation efforts are going to be done through the APC/AOC. This means having a relationship with them and for the APC/AOC to know our names and faces. If the USA wants to do something similar, their Wikimedians will need to go through the USOC and do the same thing. Ditto the Russians and Brazilians. Beyond this, there will be a necessity to travel internationally for some one no matter what. The USA is one of the more affordable options Australia wise.